Prepare to be amazed with our guide to the food, castles, and beaches through our Portugal family travel blog
Discover History in Portugal
Portugal is one of the jewels of Europe. Its beautiful location, friendly people, and incredible food make it a popular destination for visitors, especially those who travel from the UK. And if done right, Portugal can be one of the most budget-friendly destinations in Western Europe.
From the rich culture of Lisbon to the magical shores of the Algarve, prepare to be amazed at the incredible variety of castles, beaches, natural beauty, and stunning cities that Portugal has to offer.
Explore the best of Portugal
Check out some of our most popular Portugal blog posts.
Tips or Family Travel in Portugal
Family travel in Portugal is AMAZING! The food is inexpensive and delicious. There are magical towns and historical castles everywhere. The Algarve has some of the best beaches in the world. And for those traveling to Portugal with kids, the locals will generally treat you like gold. Portugal is a popular destination for travelers in countries like the U.K. since it’s very close. Also, one’s dollar goes a long way here.
Our family travel to Portugal guide will give you everything you need to start planning your trip here.
- Portugal is a member of the European Union and uses the Euro currency. The average value is approximately $1.20 USD. You can check the current exchange rate here.
- The Capital of Portugal is Lisbon. This vibrant city is a favorite among travelers due to its beauty, scenic views, and incredible history.
- Portugal uses the Type F socket at 230 V, and the standard frequency is 50 Hz.
- Cellular Phone Service
- Cell phone service is readily available throughout most of Portugal.
- Roads, Driving, and Public Transit
- Portugal has a series of well-maintained roads and highways. Traffic on local roads in Portugal can be heavy, especially in urban areas.
- There is also a series of toll highways in Portugal. The highways have both upper and lower limits but expect traffic to be moving at all speeds and be cautious.
- Portugal with Kids
Important Words And Phrases To Know When Traveling In Portugal
The Portuguese language can be found throughout much of the world. In the America, it’s spoken widely in destinations such as Brazil. It has many similarities to Spanish, which makes translating between the two languages easier. But, it’s very much its own language.
It’s always good to be able to say a few words in the local dialect whenever you visit a country. So here are a few important Portuguese words to remember.
Important Portuguese Words To Know:
Thank You: Obrigado
Thank You Very Much: Muito obrigado
You’re Welcome: De nada
Excuse Me: Desculpa